Willard Memorial Chapel
17 Nelson Street, Auburn, NY 13021 • (315) 252-0339
The Willard Memorial chapel is an unparalleled example of Louis Comfort Tiffany’s work in various mediums. Included are 14 stained glass Nave windows, Rose window, a large window of Christ sustaining Peter on the water, nine Mooresque-styled chandeliers, a memorial tablet of glass mosaic tile and gilt bronze, oak furnishings, mosaic flooring and a ceiling with gold leaf stenciling. Built between 1892 and 1894, the interior of the chapel was designed and handcrafted entirely by the Tiffany Glass and Decorating Co. and is thought to be the only complete and unaltered Tiffany designed religious interior, in its original location, in the world.
Louis Comfort Tiffany is well known for beautiful ornamental lamps and the stained glass windows which have become synonymous with his name. Tiffany was also accomplished in many other areas of artistry and design including painting, art glass, mosaics, furniture, silver, jewelry, pottery and interior design.
In addition to its artistic historical importance, the Willard Memorial Chapel and adjoining Welch Building are all that remain of the original Auburn Theological Seminary campus. The Seminary was home to generations of Presbyterian scholars, missionaries and ministers, and became an international center for studies of religious education. In 1939, the Seminary relocated to New York City where is exists today as an educational and research center.
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 2005, Willard Chapel is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places. It functions as a community center for social and cultural activity, and is a tourist destination, wedding and concert venue. Visit our website for more information at Willard Memorial Chapel.